United States | Change Country
& Ch 1
Chapter 2 (pp. 8-11)
The Weather Book, by Michael Oard.
What Causes Weather? (pp. 89)
- Locate the vocabulary words in the glossary. Write the definition for each.
- Name the seven main components of weather.
- What are the five main forms of precipitation?
- What happens to sunlight that makes it to the ground?
- What is infrared radiation?
- How does infrared radiation affect the temperatures in the summer and in the winter?
- As the air is forced upwards in the Coriolis effect, what is formed?
World Climate Zones (pp. 1011)
- Locate the vocabulary words in the glossary. Write a definition for each.
- The weather may change from day to day, or season to season, but climate is the average weather condition for a particular place at a particular time. Look at the world climate map on page 11. Locate where you live. By using the key at the bottom of the map, classify your climate. Describe it briefly using five words.
- Are there any tropical rain forests found in the high or mid latitudes? Why?
- At what degree latitude are most of the earths deserts found?
- How does distance from the ocean cause the weather to be affected?
- How do mountains affect the climate?
What Causes Weather
- See glossary
- Wind direction, wind speed, visibility, amount of water vapor (humidity), air pressure, cloud condition, air quality.
- Rain, freezing rain, snow, hail, drizzle.
- Some is absorbed, some is reflected. Of the absorbed sunshine, some becomes heat energy, while a portion is turned into chemical energy stored in plants.
- Invisible rays transmitting heat energy, given off by the land as it cools down at night.
- If days are long and nights short during summer, more heat is gained by sunshine than lost by infrared radiation. It works the opposite in the winter.
- Clouds and precipitation.
World Climate Zones
- See glossary.
- Answers will vary. Accept reasonable replies.
- Tropical rain forests are found near the equator where it is both very warm and wet.
- The closer to the ocean, the wetter the climate.
- Mountains are cooler and wetter, while the land downwind from mountains is drier
The great commission tells us to preach the Gospel to every nation. We might not be able to go there in the flesh but this site can penetrate every country on the globe. Help the world find 'creation'. Support this site
In your shopping cart
Remove All Products in Cart
Total price does not include shipping costs. Prices subject to change in accordance with your country’s store.