United States | Change Country
& Ch 1
Chapter 7 (pp. 54–59)
The Weather Book, by Michael Oard
wind chill factor
- Locate the vocabulary words in the glossary. Write the definition for each.
- What causes the Earth’s seasons?
- What causes temperatures to be cooler in the winter?
- What causes temperatures to be warmer in the summer?
- What are the seasons in the tropics like?
- Why do the west coasts of the United States, Canada, and Europe very seldom have snow?
- What would happen if snow melted as soon as it hit the ground?
- Describe some benefits of winter rainstorms to the southern United States.
- In California, what problems result from heavy rainstorms?
- What weather conditions determine if a snowstorm is called a ‘blizzard’?
- What is a ‘Northeaster’?
- What causes ice storms?
- What problems do ice storms and winter storms cause?
Winter Storms (pp. 54—59)
- See glossary.
- The Earth’s seasons are due to the tilt of its axis.
- Shorter days (with less sunshine) and longer nights cause cooler temperatures.
- Longer days allow more sunshine to warm the ground and atmosphere.
- No seasons or very small changes in the temperature.
- Warm winds from the ocean blow onto the land keeping it too warm for snow.
- Plants and animals would not be protected from harsh winter weather. We would have no storehouse of water in the mountains.
- It adds to the water table and replenishes above-ground water sources.
- Erosion and even mudslides.
- Winds over 35 mph, and poor visibility.
- A storm that moves northeast along the east coast.
- A temperature inversion, so rain falling into below-freezing temperatures of the lower atmosphere becomes supercooled. Supercooled droplets freeze when jostled, sometimes before they hit the ground (ice pellets or sleet) and at other times on objects (freezing rainvery hazardous!).
- Accept reasonable answers. Examples: auto accidents, property damage, personal injury or death due to the freezing temperatures.
Creation.com reaches millions of people each year–many of these aren't believers in our Creator and Savior Jesus Christ. How will we keep reaching them without your support? Please consider a small gift today. Support this site
In your shopping cart
Remove All Products in Cart
Total price does not include shipping costs. Prices subject to change in accordance with your country’s store.