“The treason of the intellectuals”
We have seen countless examples of universities, colleges, and seminaries chartered with a strong commitment to orthodox Christianity, only to erode first into liberalism and ultimately to secularism. Why did this happen? There are multiple, complex reasons for the apostasy of such institutions, but one key factor is the desire of professors to be intellectually recognized in the academic world. A slavish genuflection to the latest trends in academia seduces our leaders into conformity. One apologist once described this pattern as the “treason of the intellectuals”. If the secular establishment ridicules such tenets as the inspiration of the Bible, then insecure Christian professors, desperate to be accepted by their peers, quickly flee from orthodoxy, dragging the colleges, seminaries, and ultimately the churches with them. It is a weighty price to pay for academic recognition.1
- Famous evangelical apologist changes his mind: RC Sproul says he is now a six-day, young-earth creationist
- Christians should believe six-day creation regardless of “academic respectability”—Doug Wilson
- Fidelity to God—J.P. Moreland
- Take Genesis 1 as written, rather than crave secular respectability—OT Professor Todd Beall
- Question the science, not the Bible—E.J. Young
- Creation Compromises: Framework Hypothesis, Gap Theory, Progressive Creation, Theistic Evolution
- ISCAST, CASE and New College: It’s time to return to the Word of God!
- R.C. Sproul, Evangelical Lap Dogs, Tabletalk, November 2002, p. 6. Return to text.
Give $5 for 5. Although this article may have only taken 5 minutes to read, it could have taken over 5 hours to write. Consider a $5 donation to support our ministry efforts. Support this site