Andy McIntosh, DSc., FIMA, C. Math., FEI, C. Eng. FInstP., MIGEM, FRAeS.
Creationist combustion theorist and aerodynamicist
Andy has lectured and researched in Combustion and Thermodynamics for over 30 years. He is a visiting research professor at the University of Leeds, UK, and an adjunct professor at Mississippi State University, USA. He has published over 195 papers on aerodynamics, thermodynamics, combustion, biomimetics, and the bombardier beetle research, which has led to a patented spray device for applications of this technology to pharmaceuticals, fuel injectors, and fire extinguishers. He speaks widely in many countries on apologetics and the Christian faith, showing that true science is entirely consistent with a biblical view of origins.
Andy became a Christian in 1969 and is committed to a belief in the biblical creation account maintaining that Genesis is crucial to our understanding of the Gospel. He has debated academics in a number of universities, and lectures and speaks on apologetics in many countries on the importance of origins and in particular against atheism. He speaks in the UK and many countries abroad and delights to present the scientific evidence for creation and passionately believes that there is no excuse for scientific minds not to accept the truth of creation.
Andy is presently a visiting Research Professor in Thermodynamics and Combustion Theory at the University of Leeds, UK, and Adjunct Professor at Mississippi State University, USA.
He says: "My career in mathematics and science has led me very much to the view that the world and the Universe show powerful evidence of design. As a result, I am often asked both in the UK and abroad to speak on the subject of origins."
Despite being spoken publicly against by Professor Dawkins in 2006—see https://www.theguardian.com/science/2006/dec/19/schools.education and https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/dec/27/post845 Andy’s work has progressed on the bombardier beetle, and the glory is to the Lord who caused the team to obtain a prize for the beetle research called the ”Times Higher Education 2010 award for the outstanding contribution to Innovation and Technology”. Andy’s testimony is that by putting the Lord first, He blessed this research greatly. (Actually Dawkins is wrong on the thermodynamics – see https://www.witpress.com/elibrary/dne-volumes/4/4/420)
Select journal publications
- McIntosh, A.C. “Deflagration fronts and compressibility”, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A357, 3523–3538, 1999
- McIntosh, A.C., Combustion, fire, and explosion in nature - some biomimetic possibilities. Proc. IMechE, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 221(C10), 1157–1164, 200
- Beheshti, N. and McIntosh, A.C. “The bombardier beetle and its use of a pressure relief valve system to deliver a periodic pulsed spray” Bioinspiration and Biomimetics (Inst of Physics), 2, pp.57–64, 2007.
- McIntosh, A.C. “Evidence of design in bird feather and avian respiration”, Int. J. of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics, Vol. 4, No. 2, 154–169, 2009.
- McIntosh, A.C. “Information and Entropy – Top-down or bottom-up development in living systems?” Int. J. of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics, Vol. 4, No. 4, 351–385, 2009.
- McIntosh, A.C., "Information and Thermodynamics in Living Systems”, Proc. of Symposium Biological Information – New Perspectives, Cornell University, 31st May – 3rd June 2011, pp.179 – 201, DOI: 10.1142/9789814508728_0008, World Scientific, July 2013
Books and parts of books
- Genesis for Today, 6th Ed., Leominster, England, Day One, 2018
- Genesis 1–11: A Verse by Verse commentary, Leominster, England, Day One, 2016
- Wonders of Creation-Design in a Fallen World (with Stuart Burgess and Brian Edwards), Leominster, England, Day One, 2nd reprint 2018
- “Mathematics” in book In Six Days, Green Forest, AR, Master Books, 2009, 155–171
- “Information and Thermodynamics,” in Should Christians Embrace Evolution? (Downers Grove, IL, InterVarsity Press, 2009), 158–165.
- Origins: Examining the Evidence (with Geoff Barnard, and Steve Taylor), Truth in Science, Folkestone, England, 2011.
- Are you really and Atheist?, Booklet, 2018
- 100 years of airplanes—but these weren’t the first flying machines!
- Flood models: the need for an integrated approach
- Lessons from the fall of singapore, 1942