Calvin’s interest in creation ministry, particularly as a speaker, arose primarily because of seeing its effectiveness in strengthening the faith and evangelistic efforts of those exposed to the truth of God’s Word through this type of work.
Calvin was formerly on the pastoral staff of a church in Guelph, ON, overseeing the youth and small group ministries. Through working with young people, both inside the church and with a small group at the University of Guelph, Calvin personally witnessed the devastation brought to our youth by the teaching of evolutionary rationalism. But he also saw the life-transforming effect of biblical answers that encourage people to know that God’s Word can be trusted from the very first verse.
He says, "I grew up in an un-churched home. I can honestly say I was an atheist and accepted the humanist/naturalistic viewpoint that I was taught through the public school system and my environment (media, friends, siblings). I became involved in many negative behaviours and suffered from the effects of them. Looking back I can see key encounters with people that contributed to my conversion. However, it was not until I attended a few church services and had some specific stumbling blocks related to evolutionary theory removed that I was able to answer God’s call."
Calvin has spoken on creation topics since 2001 at youth groups, Christian schools, churches and small groups. He has also appeared on the CTS live call-in television program ‘Nite Lite Live’ several times, speaking about the creation/evolution issue. He also co-hosts CMI’s TV show Creation Magazine Live!
Through lots of reading, Calvin has become well equipped to talk about many aspects of science and history that relate to the creation/evolution controversy. He has consistently immersed himself in creation apologetics through seminars, classes, scientific papers and hands-on opportunities to study. When asked what formal science background he has, Calvin responds, "the same as Charles Darwin. His only formal training was in Theology!"
Calvin’s hobbies include music and wrestling.
He lives in Guelph, Ontario with his wife and 3 children.See a sample video of Calvin Smith:
- Mind over matter: Why the idea of ‘in the beginning there was no mind’ is mindless
- The hardest ones to reach …
- Creation: The better explanation
- Who’s in the driver’s seat?
- Human tails?
- Atheism needs evolution
- Is cancer ‘very good’?
- The good, the bad and the ugly …
- Dinosaur soft tissue: In seeming desperation, evolutionists turn to iron to preserve the idea of millions of years.
- The ‘Trojan Horse’ of deep time
- A tale of two fish
- The Lost Path to the Roman Road
- Sleeping with the enemy
- Is there a universal way Christians should interpret the Bible?
- Charge the hill
- The so-called ‘Age of Dinosaurs’
- Should we trust ministries that don’t support biblical creation?
- Incredible Kinesin!
- Pistol packing … Shrimp?!
- The relentless dragon: Why trying to avoid the topic of evolution won’t work.
- Why Compromise Doesn’t Work
- Evolution—It’s child’s play!
- A miracle by any other name would be … called science?
- What all atheists have to believe
- Who wants to be a millionaire?
- Building blocks … or stumbling blocks?
- Natural Selection: Superpower? … or Kryptonite!
- Genesis: History … or Mystery?
- Deconstructing Darwin–full steam ahead!
- Genesis: The Missing Piece of the Puzzle
- Is evolution ‘scientific’?
- Charmed, I’m sure!
- Too Many Questions, No Answers!
- No Facts, No Faith
- Japheth, remember to turn off the computer …
- Dealing with evolution
- CSI … and CMI
- Christians, planning your next retreat? How about an advance instead?
- Riddle me this…!
- Fantastic voyage
- With no apology!
- Go West, young man!
- A change in tactics: As empiricism fails them, notable evolutionists are retreating into arguments from analogy
- Hitting the nail on the head
- The enemy revealed
- Lost in translation
- 2012 Mayan doomsday predictions: Much to do about nothing?
- Sticks and stones may break bones, but … “Your words hurt me!” say atheists
- Indian creation myths
- Mormonism …rooted in evolution?
- World Creation stories: Beliefs about creation and their effects
- Transhumanism—mankind’s next step forward?
- Retroactive death! What’s wrong with that?