Andrew A. Snelling, B.Sc.(Hons), Ph.D.
Answers in Genesis USA
Andrew A. Snelling, B.Sc.(Hons), Ph.D. (Geology) was for many years Geologist, Senior Research Scientist and Editor of the CEN Technical Journal (now Journal of Creation) at Creation Science Foundation (now Creation Ministries International), Brisbane, Australia. From 1998 he worked for the Institute for Creation Research, USA, where he was an Associate Professor of Geology. Since 2007 he has been working for Answers in Genesis USA.
Andrew completed a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Geology with First Class Honours at The University of New South Wales in Sydney, and graduated a Doctor of Philosophy (in geology) at The University of Sydney, for his thesis entitled A geochemical study of the Koongarra uranium deposit, Northern Territory, Australia. Between studies and since, Andrew worked for six years in the exploration and mining industries in Tasmania, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia and the Northern Territory variously as a field, mine and research geologist. Full-time with the Australian creation ministry from 1983 to 1998, he was during this time also called upon as a geological consultant to the Koongarra uranium project (1983–1992).
Consequently, he was involved in research projects with various CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation), ANSTO (Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation) and University scientists across Australia, and with scientists from the USA, Britain, Japan, Sweden and the International Atomic Energy Agency. As a result of this research, Andrew was involved in writing scientific papers that were published in international scientific journals.
Andrew has been involved in extensive creationist research in Australia and overseas, including the formation of all types of mineral deposits, radioactivity in rocks and radioisotopic dating, and the formation of metamorphic and igneous rocks, sedimentary strata and landscape features (e.g. Grand Canyon, USA, and Ayers Rock, Australia) within the biblical framework for earth history. As well as writing regularly and extensively in international creationist publications, Andrew has travelled around Australia and widely overseas (USA, UK, New Zealand, South Africa, Korea, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China) speaking in schools, churches, colleges and universities, particularly on the overwhelming scientific evidence consistent with the biblical account of Creation and Noah’s Flood.
Andrew has also been heavily involved with the ICR-led RATE project which has produced some powerful breakthroughs on the subject of radiometric dating.
B.S. Applied Geology, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, First Class Honours Ph.D. Geology, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Geological Society of Australia
Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
Geological Society of America
Geological Association of Canada
Mineralogical Society of America
Society of Economic Geologists
Society for Geology Applied to Mineral Deposits
International Association of Geochemistry and Cosmochemistry
Association of Exploration Geochemists
Australian Society of Exploration Geophysicists
Creation Research Society
At the Third International Conference on Creationism in Pittsburgh (1994), he was presented with the Technical Excellence Award for the best technical paper, a paper on evidence for regional metamorphism within the creationist timeframe.
At the Fourth International Conference on Creationism (1998), he gained the first three prizes for technical excellence: first prize for his studies on anomalous radiometric ‘dates’ of recent lava flows from Mt Ngauruhoe volcano, New Zealand, and the second and third prizes were for co-authored papers with John Woodmorappe and Steve Austin respectively.
- Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth: A Young-Earth Creationist Research Initiative, edited by Larry Vardiman, Andrew Snelling and Eugene Chaffin
- The Answers Book, Don Batten, Ken Ham, Andrew Snelling, Carl Wieland [a revised and expanded version has since been published—The Creation Answers Book]
Some Creation magazine articles written by Dr Snelling
- The origin of Ayers Rock
- Tasmania’s fossil bluff
- The recent, rapid formation of the Mount Isa orebodies during Noah’s Flood
- How old is Australia’s Great Barrier Reef?
- The recent origin of Bass Strait oil and gas
- The Platypus
- Darwin the City
- Coal Beds and Noah’s Flood
- Forked seams sabotage swamp theory of coal formation
- Noah’s Flood and Mt Isa Metal Deposits
- Is The Sun Shrinking? Part Two
- A ‘165 million year’ surprise
- Iceland’s recent ‘mega-flood’
- Limestone Caves … a result of Noah’s Flood?
- Grand Canyon: Startling Evidence for Noah’s Flood
- The First Atmosphere:
Geological Evidences and their Implications
- Australia’s Amazing Kangaroos
- The Bear That Isn’t
- Dating Dilemma: Fossil wood in ‘ancient’ sandstone
- Where Are All The Human Fossils
- Amazing ‘Ark’ Exposé
- Radioactive ‘Dating’ in Conflict
(simplified version of the technical paper on the Crinum wood, below)
- Radioactive ‘dating’ failure: Recent New Zealand lava flows yield ‘ages’ of millions of years
(simplified version of the technical paper on the Mt Ngauruhoe lava flows, below)
- Geological conflict: young radiocarbon date for ancient fossil wood challenges fossil dating
- Rapid Rocks: Granites didn’t need millions of years of cooling
(with John Woodmorappe)
- That Matter of the Shrinking Sun
(Be Skeptical About the Skeptics! Part 4)
- Radiohalos-startling evidence of catastrophic geologic processes on a young earth
Some articles by Dr Snelling from Journal of Creation
- Galaxy-Quasar Connection (red shift anomaly)
- Sedimentation Experiments: Nature finally catches up!
- Can Flood Geology Explain Thick Chalk Layers?
- Saturn’s Rings—Short-Lived and Young
- The ‘Principle of Least Astonishment’! [Rapid reversals of Earth’s magnetic field]
- Microscopic Diamonds Confound Geologists
- Moon Dust and the Age of the Solar System
- ‘Rapid’ Granite Formation?
- Conflicting ‘ages’ of Tertiary basalt and contained fossilised wood, Crinum, Central Queensland, Australia
- See also Dr Snelling’s paper on anomalous ‘dates’ of Mt Ngauruhoe (New Zealand) lava flows (1st Prize for technical excellence, 4th International Conference on Creationism, 1998.
- The recent origin of Bass Strait oil and gas