Christian Apologetics Questions and Answers
The term ‘Christian apologetics’ doesn’t refer to apologizing (or saying ‘sorry’) for being a Christian. It comes from the Greek word ἀπολογία (apología) meaning defence. The Greek term refers to a reasoned defence that would be given in a court of law. The classic example is Plato’s Apology, Socrates’ defence against the charges of atheism and corrupting the youth.
Christian apologetics is the reasoned defence of the Christian faith against objections, but also includes the setting forth of positive grounds for Christianity. It is the duty of all Christians, because:
- The Lord Jesus Christ commanded: ‘Love the Lord your God … with all your mind.’ (Matthew 22:37)
- The Apostle Peter commanded Christians: ‘Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.’ (1 Peter 3:15)
- Jude’s inspired epistle said: ‘I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.’ (v. 3)
- The Apostle Paul said: ‘We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ’ (2 Corinthians 10:5).
- Do I need to be an apologist?
- What? A Christian mind?
- How do we love our neighbor?
- Is charity more important than apologetics?
- Faith and facts: How a biblical worldview makes best sense of the evidence
- ‘Hanging Loose’
- Loving God with All Your Mind: Logic and Creation
- Why CMI rejects ‘conspiracy’ theory
- Evolution and creation, science and religion, facts and bias (from Refuting Evolution)
Why bother defending the faith?
Are people actually saved as a result of apologetics?
- Caged lions … And the young generation in the church
- Why use apologetics for evangelism?
- Lita Cosner: ‘No excuse to disbelieve’
- Sonia’s Testimony. Creation magazine opened my eyes to the Gospel! A testimony
- ‘Joel Galvin’: Faith shipwrecked by compromising ‘Christian’ colleges; restored by creation ministry
General apologetics topics
- Miracles and science
- Sound bites vs sound science
- The Wrong Glasses
- Games that scoffers play
- The tyranny of ‘tolerance’
- The hypocrisy of intolerant ‘tolerance’
- Using the Bible to prove the Bible? Are biblical creationists guilty of circular reasoning?
- The Haggard tragedy: ‘Christianity must be wrong because of all the hypocrites in the church!’
- Brain chemistry and the fate of the personality after death
- The “God spot”: Does it prove that God is all in our heads?
- Does God”s foreknowledge entail fatalism?
- Why would a loving God send people to Hell?
- C.S. Lewis and evolution
- C.S. Lewis and the Great Myth
- G.K. Chesterton: Darwinism is ‘An attack upon thought itself’
Is there any biblical basis for New Age beliefs or Reincarnation?
How does Christianity differ from Islam and modern Judaism?
How can we defend absolute truth and morality?
- What is ‘good’? (Answering the ‘Euthyphro Dilemma’)
- Does it matter what people believe?
- John Lennon II?
- ‘That’s nice for you, but it’s not for me’
Are near death experiences real?
Quantum mechanics — What is it, and how does it fit with the Bible?
- Should creationists accept quantum mechanics?
- In the beginning God created—or was it a quantum fluctuation?
- Quantum leap of faith (response to Paul Davies)
- Huff and Bluff: Can ‘quantum magic’ save chemical evolution? (response to Paul Davies)
- A new age of quantum madness