Created or evolved?
Where do we come from? Find your answer to the vital creation vs evolution question
Are you created or evolved?
Since Charles Darwin first published his Origin of Species in 1859, the idea that everything just evolved by itself over millions and billions of years has come to dominate our public media and educational institutions. Evolution is often spoken of as ‘fact’.
So it surprises many that there are an increasing number of voices speaking out against evolution. They say we are not evolved, but created. It’s even more of a surprise to discover many of those voices are from leading scientists across a range of disciplines. Not only are they pointing out the flaws in evolutionary theory, but they’re also showing that the evidence around us fits with the Bible’s account of the past, not evolution.
What is this evidence for creation that these scientists are pointing to? There’s lots. Here’s just a taste.
The design of living things
If we look at even just one aspect of our bodies, such as the dexterity of our hand, wrist and fingers, it speaks of design, and therefore, a Designer. Robotics engineers are still striving to copy that dexterity!1 And our movements are controlled by our brains—no mean feat! The immense complexity of the human brain, its creativity and power of abstract reasoning, with capacities vastly beyond that required for sheer survival, is perhaps the most obvious evidence for intelligent creation.2
At the time that Charles Darwin published his Origin of Species, a cell was considered a simple ‘blob of protoplasm’—a basic building block of life. But with the development of technology allowing us to study living things at a molecular level, it’s now realized that a single cell is enormously complex. And new jaw-dropping discoveries of its hitherto-unrealized complexity are continuing to be made. E.g. the cell has a ‘switchboard system’ to coordinate the multiplicity of biochemical events happening within.3
And much more! E.g. it’s humorous now to look back on the prediction, by a scientist (J.B.S. Haldane) who believed that, because of evolution, no-one would ever find a wheel in nature.4 He was wrong, as this video clip (duration 1 minute, 26 seconds) of the world’s smallest rotary motor, the incredible ATP synthase enzyme present in all living things, shows:5
And there are linear motors, too, including the kinesin protein that ‘walks’ as it transports essential components to where they are needed in the cell, as this video (duration 1 minute, 11 seconds) shows:6
Note that every ‘step’ the kinesin protein takes requires one ATP molecule for energy—i.e. ATP which is generated by the rotary ATP synthase motor shown in the previous video clip. The eukaryotic cell needs both of these highly complex motors to be present and fully functional—and much more besides. No wonder the Psalmist wrote …
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (Psalm 139:14)
… and the Apostle Paul said:
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Indeed, there’s no excuse! Especially as modern science continues to reveal the irreducible complexity in life’s biochemistry. This video clip (duration 2 minutes, 16 seconds) spectacularly demonstrates one essential aspect of this:7
Note that this whole system (DNA, RNA and fully functional enzyme machinery) must be present in any living cell. To get enzymes you need RNA, to get RNA you need DNA, to get DNA you need enzymes … get the picture? No one has any idea how such a sophisticated set of nanomachines could have made themselves without intelligent design. This had to be designed by a super-intelligence. This is one characteristic of the Creator of all described in the Bible: omniscient / all knowing.
What would Charles Darwin have made of all this new information available today? Even in his day, the sight of a peacock feather was enough to make him sick (!), as this one-minute video clip relates:8
For readers interested in a swag of further articles on how nature points undeniably to a Designer, see:
Q&A: Design features
Perhaps you might also know someone who would benefit from being given this short letter demonstrating how we inherently recognize design when we see it:
Letter to an atheist: A birdbox and a tree
Too-rapid genetic decay
Bad news, folks. We’re accumulating copying mistakes (mutations) in our genes at a rate of approximately 60–100 per person per generation. Here’s a video clip (duration 2 minutes 29 seconds) extract from a presentation on this topic by internationally-renowned geneticist Dr John Sanford (one of many PhD scientists who believe the Bible)9, inventor of the gene gun:10
We’re going downhill so fast in fact that geneticists wonder why we haven’t become extinct 100 times over! But their bewilderment is because they make the mistake of believing the world is older than the 6,000 or so years the Bible indicates.
Also, many wrongly think that mutations can be the ‘engine’ of evolution, i.e. that they can generate the sort of ‘uphill’ transformations necessary to validate the microbes-to-man idea. But the truth is very different. In the following video clip (duration 1 minute, 52 seconds), the response of the ‘champion’ of evolution in the west, biologist Richard Dawkins, when challenged on this issue is very revealing:11
(Should you encounter some of the many Skeptics who have tried to question the veracity of the above film clip, you can show they are wrong with this analysis of the video timeline: Was Dawkins stumped? Frog-to-a-Prince critics refuted again.)
Note that time, far from being the ‘hero’ of evolution,12 actually makes matters worse for evolutionary theory. Here are two easy-to-read articles for readers interested in following this up further:
Time—no friend of evolution
The evolution train’s a-comin’ (Sorry, a-goin’—in the wrong direction)
And here’s a swag of further articles for readers keen to dig deeper on this topic, which clearly shows the genetic evidence points to the truth of biblical creation:
Incidentally, while on the subject of genetics, in this video clip (duration 1 minute, 5 seconds), CMI’s Dr Jonathan Sarfati explains why our DNA similarity with apes points to a common designer and not evolution:13
For readers with a strong further interest in genetics, see:
The fossil ‘record’
Instead of representing millions-of-years of evolution and extinction, the fossil ‘record’ is actually better interpreted as being a legacy of the global Flood (Genesis 6–9), and events since. This one-minute video highlights the challenge that stasis and ‘living fossils’ present to evolutionary theory, while those observed characteristics are right in line with what the Bible says:14
And there’s plenty of evidence of rapid burial, just as you’d expect from the catastrophically violent worldwide Flood described in the Bible. E.g. this one-minute video shows some fossils buried across multiple sedimentary layers:15
The pattern of worldwide catastrophic erosion, movement and burial in a watery cataclysm is plainly evident for those with eyes to see, as these easy-to-read articles explain:
Do rivers erode through mountains?—Water gaps are strong evidence for the Genesis Flood
Noah’s long-distance travelers—Quartzite boulders speak powerfully of the global Flood
It’s plain to see
Seeing the pattern
By the way, the widely-held belief that the fossil record ‘proves’ that humans evolved from apes is sadly misplaced. One of the world’s foremost evolutionary paleoanthropologists, Professor Bernard Wood, forthrightly highlights the deceptiveness in portraying transitional images of ape-to-man (such as the one displayed on the right) as follows:
“There is a popular image of human evolution that you’ll find all over the place, from the backs of cereal packets to advertisements for expensive scientific equipment. On the left of the picture there’s an ape—stocky, jutting jaw, hunched in the knuckle-walking position. On the right, a man—graceful, high forehead, striding purposefully into the future. Between the two is a succession of figures that become ever more like humans, as the shoulders start to pull back, the torso slims down, the arms retract, the legs extend, the cranium expands and the chin recedes. Our progress from ape to human looks so smooth, so tidy. It’s such a beguiling image that even the experts are loath to let it go. But it is an illusion.”16
An illusion! And Professor Wood has subsequently also said:
“The origin of our own genus remains frustratingly unclear.”17
But one might reasonably ask, “Hasn’t there already been lots of discoveries of transitional ape-men fossils, since Darwin wrote his Origin?” The following video clip (duration: 45 seconds) gives an example of what has happened to them, since they were initially heralded as ‘transitional forms’:18
For readers who’d like to explore the whole claimed ‘ape-men’ issue further, see the many articles accessible from:
Q&A: Anthropology and Ape-men
For readers who’d like to dig even deeper into the fossil record [Unintended pun!—Ed.], there’s a plethora of further articles accessible from:
There’s lots of evidence of dinosaurs having lived alongside people after the Flood (e.g. at Carlisle Cathedral shown above).19 And of rapid burial of dinosaurs during the Flood.20 And of red blood cells and hemoglobin in dinosaur remains, indicating the millions-of-years extinction ideas must be wrong, but right in line with the Bible’s timeline, as the following video (duration 43 seconds) shows:21
You can get an idea of the astonishment of the scientists involved in the discovery by viewing the following one-minute video:
Actually, following the 1990s discovery of the red blood cells and hemoglobin (for more detail on that find see Sensational dinosaur blood report!), even more dramatic discoveries have included:
- In 2005, flexible ligaments and blood vessels. See Dinosaur soft-tissue find—a stunning rebuttal of ‘millions of years’
- In 2009, the fragile proteins elastin and laminin, and further confirmation of the presence of collagen (an important protein in bone). The protein evidence was inescapably building up against long-age ideas, adding to the 2003 finding of osteocalcin in dinosaur bone. If the dinosaur fossils really were tens of millions of years old as claimed, none of these proteins should have been present. See Dinosaur soft tissue and protein—even more confirmation!
- In 2012, bone cells (osteocytes), the proteins actin and tubulin, and even DNA! Under measured rates of decomposition, these proteins, and especially DNA, could not have lasted for the presumed 65 million years since dinosaur extinction. This is dramatic support for the Bible’s timeline, with its maximum age of the earth of 6,000 years. See DNA and bone cells found in dinosaur bone
- In 2012, radiocarbon in dinosaur bones. But carbon-14 decays so quickly that if the remains were even 100,000 years old, none should be detectable! See Radiocarbon in dino bones—international conference censored
And note the way many dinosaurs have been fossilized in a ‘death throes’ posture, pointing to death-by-drowning, as this one-minute video shows:22
Want more? There’s lots more reading accessible via:
Stars and planets
There’s plenty of facts about our universe that defy naturalistic explanation, but speak instead of the truth of Psalm 19:1, “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.” E.g. the retrograde motion of some of the planets of our solar system,23 and the structure evident in the universe.24 Here’s three easy-to-read articles with further evidence in line with the Bible’s account of origins:
In the middle of the action
Astronomical evidence for a young(er) earth and universe
There’s lots more about the starry skies that points to the Bible’s timeline of creation. E.g. supernovas demonstrate by their presence that the mooted billions-of-years age of the universe is nonsense, but are right in line with the Bible’s 6,000-year age of the universe, as this video clip (duration: 45 seconds) explains:25
For those who want to explore further, there’s plenty more reading material accessible via:
Q&A: Astronomy and Astrophysics
Conclusion: We’re created, not evolved!
Given the above, some readers might now be wondering, “Why then do many people not realize there’s all this evidence for biblical creation and the Flood?” One factor is that many people don’t realize the difference between experimental science, which relies on eyewitness observations (which happens to be in line with the Bible’s injunction to “Let every matter be established on the testimony of two or more witnesses”), and claims about evolution in the past, which does not. This video clip (duration: 1 minute, 6 seconds) explains why the creation/evolution debate is about history, which cannot be observed, repeated, and tested:26
Now, all of this is not of mere academic interest, but has ramifications for everyone’s future. We’ve seen here that the evidence strongly points to the truth of the Bible’s historical account about Creation and the Flood. This video clip27 (duration 45 seconds) explains that Jesus Christ—our Creator, Lord and Saviour—spoke of that Flood, in context of the judgment to come …
So, the scientific evidence leads us to the fact that we are created, not evolved. Living things point to design. Geology confirms the biblical Flood. Genetics reveals that our world is decaying, and needs to be renewed. The good news is that the Creator will one day do just that. He cares about each of us and has a plan for our lives.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”28
Got more questions?
Got more questions? You can see our full suite of Q&A pages here: Creation answers (frequently asked questions).
In the unlikely event that you still have a question that wasn’t addressed on our Q&A pages, you can ask us here at Creation Ministries International (CMI) directly. However, you must have first endeavoured to have thoroughly searched our site, including using the search window (top right, which appears on every article page of our website). If after that you haven’t found an answer to your question in the over 8,000 articles and videos on this website, you may submit a theological or scientific question to CMI. We may then consider publishing your question and our answer as a feedback article, for the benefit of all readers, featuring it for four days on our website front page—you can see the many past examples of that here: Feedback archive. This of course helps to continuously boost and strengthen the information on our website.
Thusis not a ‘static’ website but dynamic, constantly expanding with fresh daily front page feature articles and multimedia content.
Our logo: explained
The logo of Creation Ministries International symbolizes the literal reality of a Genesis creation day: alternate periods of light and dark on a rotating earth. A real evening and morning, just as the text makes clear. See Q&A: Genesis
Further video viewing
Re-featured on homepage: 16 December 2021
- Catchpoole, D., Fingertip control, Creation 31(2):31, 2009; creation.com/fingertip-control. Return to text.
- Paturi, J., The human body: God s masterpiece, Creation 2(4):54, 1998; creation.com/masterbody. Return to text.
- Cell ‘switchboard’, Creation 25(1):7, 2003; creation.com/switchboard. Return to text.
- Sarfati, J., Design in living organisms (motors: ATP synthase), Journal of Creation 12(1):3–5, 1998; creation.com/motor. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=W3KxU63gcF4. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=kOeJwQ0OXc4. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=LY0hZLDOb00. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=VErKLM7HWyg. Return to text.
- For more, see: Scientists alive today who accept the biblical account of creation; creation.com/bios. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=FYbpKMFJFCw. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=YddmGJofbL0. Return to text.
- Catchpoole, D., Time is the hero, Creation 34(3):6, 2012; creation.com/time-is-the-hero. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=OzmOu1YdFkg. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=fw3yrcdNhbM. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=hqUtY23L4iQ. Return to text.
- Wood, B., “Who are we?” New Scientist 176(2366):44–47, 26 October 2002. Return to text.
- Wood, B., Did early Homo migrate “out of” or “in to” Africa?, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 2011; published ahead of print 15 June 2011, doi:10.1073/pnas.1107724108. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=BVLkkWlEFsw. Return to text.
- Also see: Catchpoole, D., Angkor saw a stegosaur?, Creation 29(4):56, 2007; creation.com/angkor-stegosaur. Return to text.
- Walker, T., Dinosaur herd buried in Noah’s Flood in Inner Mongolia, China, 14 April 2009; creation.com/dino-herd. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=1zNDpVE2dM4. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=2iUpKepDuJc. Return to text.
- Sarfati, J., Venus: cauldron of fire, Creation 23(3):30–34, 2001; creation.com/venus. Return to text.
- Rigg, A., Galaxy games: grown-up galaxies in a young universe, Creation 27(1):18–21, 2004; creation.com/galaxy-games. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=LBfrDjn5YiU. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=5UM1Hn425Gc. Return to text.
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=VdYH-qZXQFQ. Return to text.
- For more explanation of this, see: Good News!; creation.com/good-news. Return to text.
Comments are automatically closed 14 days after publication.